Friday, July 1, 2011

The dreaded bus!

Why? Why must I bring up the bus? Well, because your destination is too far for you to use your bicycle, for example. Too many people who have always (or almost always) had access to a private vehicle practically fear the bus. However, it is not all that scary, in fact I would classify the "scary" times as minimal at best. It is also a great way to save gas and thereby, money.

I use the bus to get to school; I am kinda lucky in that the bus actually drops me right at the front door. A monthly bus pass costs me $30. At the current gasoline prices, I can only get half a tank for $30 and half a tank does not often last me a whole week, much less a month.

When I mentioned bicycle above, it was for a good reason. The bike is the best option for being environmentally friendly. A car burns fuel and makes you fat, a bike burns fat and helps save the environment! I do know that a bike is not always a feasible option though; it might be too far or take too much time out of your already busy schedule. Some bus companies have actually added bike racks to their bumpers so you can bike the short distance to the stop and to the office or school door and get the best of both worlds.

The bus may cause you some delays too, but the savings both cash and "green," can really make a difference if you can fit it into your schedule.

Thanks,
-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment