Saturday, July 16, 2011

All free!



I have mentioned in a couple of my other posts about getting free stuff to reuse, repurpose and/or recycle. I am an avid Craigslist user and I pay close attention to the free section; even devoting hours at a time (while doing other things at the computer) to clicking refresh. Most items of any real value are snatched up so quickly that they are gone before the 15 minute CL refresh of the lists; so, if you are not diligent, you will miss "it."

I just have to say thank you, thank you to all the generous people out there who put stuff up in the free section. I know that some are just looking to get their items removed or disassembled or whatnot at no cost to them, but that's how it works most of the time. Free is not usually really free, the cost in most cases is the labor you invest to get the item. So, thank you to those who put up their items for me to come and get so they don't end up in a landfill and I get the chance to repurpose them.

Today's find was awesome for me. I have been trying to find something to make raised flower beds areound the two trees in the front yard. Since I rent, I am not spending money on the project. Today, I got my hands on almost 1000 bricks at no charge to me other than fuel and labor. I was lucky on this one too, they were not damaged from being torn out of a demolition. These brick were never used and neatly stacked up against a shed in the guys backyard. His house was made of the same brick, so I am guessing he ever got to a desired addition or something. Not only are all the bricks in good shape, they are tan bricks, not red and the house is painted tan with brown trim. I feel super lucky!


So, if you have the time at the computer already, keep Craigslist open in the background and click back to refresh a few times an hour. There are plenty of awesome items to be had for only the effort it takes to retrieve them.


Thanks,

-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment